Wolf Trap Oyster Company Shipping Policies
Updated August 10, 2020
At Wolftrap Oysters, we are passionate about oysters. We want your seafood to arrive at your door in peak condition. As such, we have meticulously tested our packaging and shipping. We offer our customers the best shipping price and speed based on continuous shipping tests designed to optimize quality. Given there are variables we cannot control, like weather or if you are home when the delivery is made, we want to hear from you if something seems off.
Order Cut Off & Shipping Times
- Orders placed Monday – Thursday by Noon EST will ship the same day.
- Orders placed Friday, Saturday, Sunday will be processed the following Monday.
You will receive an order confirmation and notification when the product is shipped with tracking information.
Our oysters are shipped from our farm on the Chesapeake Bay in Mathews, Virginia. Due to our rural location and our dedication to providing the freshest oysters available, we only use overnight shipping. Our oysters are shipped in insulated boxes with chill-packs to ensure consistent and safe delivery to your door.
Shipping cost will be calculated at checkout based on delivery location.
All orders will ship via FedEx. Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot ship to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/FPO, or PO Boxes.
Storing Live Oysters
We recommend you enjoy Wolftrap oysters upon arrival. However, live oysters can be stored in a chilled environment for up to 3 days after arrival.
Refrigerator – To store live oysters in the refrigerator, place oysters in the coldest part of the refrigerator and cover with a damp towel to maintain moisture levels. Do not store oysters in sealed containers or bags. Oysters are alive and need to breathe.
Cooler – To store oysters in a cooler, place oysters ON TOP of ice with drain plug open. Live oysters cannot tolerate freshwater and must not sit in ice-melt or freshwater. Do not store oysters in a sealed cooler, container, or bag. Oysters are alive and need to breathe.
Do not freeze oysters. Frozen live oysters cannot be safely consumed.
Consuming Live Oysters
Our oysters are fresh from the Chesapeake Bay, handpicked for delivery on the day of shipping. However, even the freshest of oysters can “go bad” during shipping.
Before consuming carefully inspect your oysters. Oysters that are not safe for consumption will have an open shell and/or be dry upon shucking; we call this a “popped” shell. Once an oyster has expired, it can no longer maintain a tight seal causing the shell to open or “pop” and the oyster liqueur to leak. Please discard any expired oysters; they are not safe for consumption.
- If you are unhappy, we want to know about it. We commit to taking care of any issue. In the unlikely scenario that you are unhappy with your purchase, please contact our customer service team at email@example.com within 48 hours of receiving your order.
- It is helpful if you can take some photos of the box and the product to include with your note. We will reply within 24 hours and will work to find complete resolution within 5 business days.
- Due to the temperature-sensitive nature of our products, please do not ship the item back to us.
*Consuming raw or undercooked shellfish may increase your risk of foodborne illness